History
 
The Diocese of Rajkot
The Syro- Malabar Catholic Diocese of Rajkot has the pastoral care of the civil districts of Amereli, Bhavnagar, Jamnagar, Junagadh, Surendranagr, Porbandar and Rajkot itself, in the region of Saurashtra, together with Kutch which is  a district by itself. It covers an area of 109,991 sq Km.

For many years, the Spanish Jesuits have done the Pioneering missionary work in the region. Later on they were assisted by Spanish sisters and Indian Jesuit Priests and Brothers. Then a time came to have the Diocese of Ahmadabad bifurcated, so as to have a proximity that would enable the missionary apostolate to be more effective in that North Western Peninsula, which was a good distance away from mainland Gujarat.

An agreement was made between Ahmadabad’s Jesuits Bishop Edwin Pinto and then CMI Prior General Theobold Pothanikkattu CMI that those regions would be handed over to the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI) an Indian clerical Congregation of Syro Malabar Rite, with full responsibility for their Apostolate, with a view to erect a new Eparchy when the Holy See will so decide. In July 1972, a band of six CMIs handpicked by the Prior General from different provinces landed in Gujarat to work in Saurashtra and Kutch.

On 16th July 1974, the feast of our Lady of Mt. Carmel, the CMIs officially took over the civil districts of Kutch, Jamnagar, Junagadh and Surendranagr from the Jesuits. In 1978 the entire mission territory was entrusted to Sacred Heart Province. At an Ecclesiastical level, those regions of Saurashtra and Kutch- carved out of the Diocese of Ahmadabad – came to be Christened the Diocese of Rajkot. Pope Paul VI, by the Papal Bull “De Recta Fidelium” of 25th February 1977, erected that new Diocese of Rajkot.

Bp. Jonas Thaliyatu CMI was appointed the first Bishop of Rajkot on 25th February 1977. His Episcopal Consecration took place on 11th May 1977 and his formal installation was on 19th june 1977. Bishop Jonas was called to his eternal reward on 7th November 1981. Bishop Gregory Karottembrel CMI was ordained the second Bishop of Rajkot on 24th April 1983. He developed the Diocese with his vision and mission. After his retirement Bishop Jose Chittooparambil CMI was ordained Bishop of Rajkot .
Sacred Heart church Jamnagar
Construction of Sacred Heart church in Jamnagar city was started by Fr. Stephan D’souza SJ, the first resident Priest who guided the Catholic community from 1948 to 1966. It was blessed by bishop Edwin pinto SJ of Ahmedabad on 3rd December 1967. The church was officially declared a Parish on 1st November 1971, thus halting ITS DEPENDENCY FROM Rajkot. Fr. John Myuers SJ was appointed Parish Priest. In 1974, the CMI fathers took charge of this Parish and Fr. Mathew Panthiruvelil was the first CMI priest to serve this Parish.
The Priest who served as Parish Prist are as follows
Fr. Stephen D’souza  1949-1966
Fr. Myers S.J 1966-1974
Fr. Mathew CMI       1974-1975
Fr.james Sarto CMI  1975-1978
Fr. L.F Jose CMI        1978-1984
Fr. John N CMI         1984-1985(7months)
Fr. Victorian CMI   1985-1988
Fr. Joseph M CMI 1989(6months)
Fr. Davis M CMI   1989-1993
Fr. James CMI      1993-1999
Fr.Noble CMI      1999-2000
Fr. Devasia CMI  2000-2001(6months)
Fr. Thomas M     2001-2002
Fr. George M CMI 2002-2008
Fr. Josy K          2008-2011
Fr.Reji K          2011( 6months)
Fr. Manu CMI 2011
Holy Cross Church Jamnagar
In 1870, a subsidiary military camp was opened in Jam Khambaliya. Following year Colonel Braganza secured land to build a church for “the native troops and bandsmen of the Jamsaheb”. This Goan officer obtained permission from the Jam Saheb of Navager and received his financial support for the Church construction. It actually turned out to be a military Chapel as there were just a few isolsted civilian catholics who also used to go there for Mass once a month.

This Chapel, built in 1871 in the infantry lines of Jamnagar, stands as “Christ Church” in official documents, and is thus the 3rd oldest Church in Saurashtra. Though popularly known as camp Church, it came to be re-chritened Holy Cross Church. Holy Mass is celebrated there every Sunday. The Christian cemetery is attached to this church. The Parish Priest of Sacred Heart Church Jamnagr is the incharge Priest of Holy Cross Church.
 
 
 
 
Designed By : aaditya info solutions Updated By : Biju John